Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

The New Year is upon us and with it countless resolutions, many of which may be abandoned and forgotten before February 1.

What can you do to make your resolution stick?

Each year, I make a list of New Year’s resolutions.  More than resolutions, these are goals that I set for myself in the New Year.  This past year, for the first year that I could remember, I accomplished the majority of my goals.  I didn’t accomplish all of my goals, but 10/11 isn’t too shabby.

While I don’t claim to be an expert on goal setting, I can offer you a few tips to make your resolutions stick.

Make a List

Write down your goals and keep them somewhere that you can see them each and every day.  If you have to look your goals in the eye, you are more likely to take the necessary steps to accomplish them.  

Check It Twice

What are your goals? After you have written your goals, review them.  Are they truly representative of what you would like to accomplish? If you don’t really care about whether or not you learn to play the guitar, you won’t put the time and energy into practicing. Check your goals to make sure they are goals you will truly work towards achieving.

Choose Measurable Goals, Not Lofty Goals

When you write your goals, make them as specific as possible.  For example, “be more adventurous” is difficult to measure.  But “be more adventurous and go skydiving” is clearly measurable.  After you’ve taken the leap, you have been more adventurous in 2012.

No Goal Too Small

There is no such thing as a goal that “isn’t good enough.” If you would like to accomplish it, it is big enough.  Just because a goal is more manageable, doesn’t mean that accomplishing it is less satisfying.

No Goal Too Large

What would you like to accomplish in 2012 that seems out of your reach?  It’s not.  You may need help.  

Last year, I wrote a goal that I thought was “too big.”  I wanted to write and publish a book.  In September of 2011, I accomplished my goal.  But I didn’t do it alone.  I needed to reach out to colleagues, friends, and of course my family.  I needed to commit myself for months to accomplish this goal.  I needed to really want to write my book. 

Maybe your goal seems too far out of reach. Put in on your 2012 list anyway.  Then, figure out how you will accomplish it.  What small steps do you need to take? Who do you need to meet? Look to your network for the assistance that you need to accomplish your goals. 

2012 is going to be a great year.  What will you do to make it outstanding?