Thursday, January 26, 2012

Career Specific Networking

Career specific networking involves networking with people at places that are closely related to the career that you wish to break into.  These are events, associations, part-time positions, and volunteer positions that will help you get your foot in the door for the career that you want.   Along the way, you may also gain skills and experience that will make for a great conversation during an interview.

Think about what makes your career unique.  Are there national or state conferences you could attend? Are there volunteer organizations that could help you hone your skills?

Are there similar or related part-time jobs you could apply for while you look for a full-time job? Don’t immediately discard a job for which you consider yourself over-qualified.  Getting your foot in the door is half the battle.  Getting to network with people in the industry is a bonus.

Consider this, when I applied for my first job after law school I sent out 300 resumes and cover letters.  I got one phone call and one interview.  The interview was for a paralegal position, not an attorney position.  I was disappointed, but I went to the interview anyway with a positive attitude and high hopes for a job offer.  During the course of the interview, the attorney that I was interviewing with explained that this was a paralegal position, but only until I got my bar results.  Upon passing the bar, if I was to be offered the position, I would be an associate with the firm.  I was ultimately offered the position and accepted.

If I had disregarded the “paralegal” position, I never would have known that my interview could turn it from a paralegal position into an associate attorney position. 

Moral of the story?

Don’t miss out on an opportunity.

Career specific networking takes commitment, drive and most of all a positive attitude to take advantage of these opportunities.  These are opportunities to network, not resignation to a different career. 

As long as you are willing to work for it, career specific networking will work for you.