Monday, August 19, 2013

Changing Course v. Off-Roading

In 2011, I left my first full-time attorney position after 9 months.  It was a very difficult decision that left me with a mixed feelings of relief, stress, fear, and uncertainty.  I knew I wasn’t cut out to be a divorce attorney.  It was time for me to change course.  The 9 months that followed gave me a chance to not just change course, but go off-roading as far as my career was concerned.

-I did a webinar for Lawline
-I managed and created education programs for attorneys
-I spoke at colleges, universities and law schools
-I taught 3rd graders

Nine months later, I found myself back practicing in an area of law I am truly passionate about, estate planning and elder law.  I have been with the firm for almost 2 years now and I couldn’t be happier.  Because I took the leap and changed course, I find myself infinitely more fulfilled and content.  

If you had nothing standing in your way, how would you change course?